Thursday, May 5, 2016

Beware of "Christian" Political Candidates

Michael Wear at Christianity Today (May 5, 2016) has written an excellent article about Gov. Kasich's faith, entitled, "The Kasich Conundrum." From the article: "...Kasich explained to reporters that he thinks it “cheapens God…to go out and try to win a vote by using God.”
Also from the article: regarding a fundraising event hosted by the wealth Koch brothers, "Kasich was asked by one woman why he agreed to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, extending health insurance to more low-income people...Kasich responded, in front of an audience of wealthy, libertarian-leaning donors: “I don’t know about you, lady, but when I get to the pearly gates, I’m going to have an answer for what I’ve done for the poor.” According to Politico, about 20 donors left the room and his fellow panelists, Gov. Nikki Haley and Gov. Bobby Jindal, spoke up to disagree. Kasich has not been invited back to a Koch gathering since."
I also share his views. There are other aspects of Kasich's politics I especially like that are contained in this article.
From my experience of being a political activist years ago, and also form my years being a political scientist who is a Christian, I advise people to beware of candidates who try to get your vote because they are a Christian, and also beware of candidates who claim their faith is so personal that they do not talk about it at all. The former merely use God as a means to winning elections, the later might be covering up their lack of faith (although they might be shy about sharing their faith). There is a balanced middle ground, and Gov. Kasich tried to keep that balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment