Sunday, June 2, 2013

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog, Berean Comments! I have started this blog to focus on things pertaining to the common faith all Christians share, what C S Lewis called, Mere Christianity. In this light, I see myself as a Christian first, which is a common faith I share with Protestants, Roman Catholics, and Eastern Orthodox Christians along with other Eastern Christians.

I am also an Evangelical Christian, which means I strive to share the good news about Jesus Christ with others. In this, I am a Protestant Christian in the Reformed Faith, specifically Presbyterian. I prefer the name, "Reformed Christian" and "Reformed Theology" rather than "Calvinist" or "Calvinism." This is important because our faith does not center on John Calvin, although he was a significant theologian in our faith. However, he is one of many important theologians, and our faith centers on Jesus Christ as God the Son.

The name, Berean Comments, is taken from Acts 17: 10-12:


The brothers immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea, and when they arrived they went into the Jewish synagogue. Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so. Many of them therefore believed, with not a few Greek women of high standing as well as men.
Crossway Bibles (2011-02-09). The Holy Bible, English Standard Version (Kindle Locations 43854-43858). Good News Publishers/Crossway Books. Kindle Edition. 


The emphasis is on receiving and examining ideas in light of scripture. Some comments may be direct, critical, but I will not try to intentionally be insulting to anyone. This does not mean the comments will always be liked by everyone, though.

Christians are facing challenges today to our core beliefs. As time goes on, the challenges will be more difficult to address. Many will retreat into a neo-monestary time existence. Others will adapt to the surrounding culture. Others will dismiss the challenges or provide answers that do not really answer the challenge. None of these approaches will suffice. Those conceptions of God are too small.

Still, I do not propose to have answers to all questions. I find myself often behaving like Job,

No comments:

Post a Comment